Sunday, February 15, 2009

Beserk At The AWP Book Fair

It's a bad idea to put me in a room with aisle after aisle of book vendors. Well this is what happened at the AWP book fair. My upper lip quivered as I looked out into an ocean of book vendors in the NorthEast Hall of the Hilton.

Slithering into the aisles swooning paper backs and hard cover and lusting after words dressed in their finest font sizes I caved in. This is my kryptonite and I am in bliss.

Books I walked out with included:

Palabra - A Magazine of Chicano / Latino Literary Art
(It's a great publication to submit your work to. You can log onto their website for
guidelines at palabralitmag.com

The Last Communist Virgin by Wang Ping
I heard the author on a panel called Mama Drama and she was amazing!

Autopsy of an Engine by Lolita Hernandez
She was so kind to sign the book. I think she runs Coffee House Press. We are thinking of a field trip to Detroit.

Dog Road Woman by Allison Adelle Hedge Coke
This book one the American Book Award and I love poetry so can't go wrong with that.

Interlochen Review is part of the Interlochen Arts Academy's Creative Writing Department and just seemed like an overall good read.

Controlled Decay by Gabriela Jaurequi
This poet threw down at the AWP conference. Her poetry catapults itself dangerously off her lips and into your ears. She lives in Mexico City and has a foundation for immigrant students wanting to study the arts.

No comments: